Rare & Used Books
Rare and Used Books in the Annex
TEMPORARY STATUS UPDATE 11/29/18 - We are not accepting used book submissions for store credit until after the New Year.
Ernest & Hadley Booksellers accepts book trade-ins for store credit in our Annex behind the main shop. We will accept any size donation at any time, but since we are not a non-profit, donations are not tax-deductible. We do not give cash for books.
PLEASE CALL AHEAD: (205) 632-5331
Depending on the number of books you are dropping off for credit, please allow up to 48 business hours to process. Please keep your submissions for store credit to a maximum of what will fit into a 19”x15”x11” box. There may be a service charge applied, depending on the size of your drop-off. We can make house calls as well, and a service charge will be applied based on the distance from the store and volume of books for appraisal.
Do you have valuable books* that you would prefer not to drop off? Click here and we will get back to you ASAP.
Guidelines for books we will accept:
• We accept books that are in good condition.
• Hardcovers should have a dust jacket.
• We are selective about the mass market paperbacks. Classics are preferred.
• We do not accept any textbooks, Solutions Manuals, Study Guides or Lab Manuals that accompany specific textbooks or classes.
• Software books and many nonfiction categories are subject to age limits. These vary widely from topic to topic.
• In general, items that come free with purchase or are handed out free by organizations are not accepted.
• We are very selective about the stapled material we accept.
Used* Book Credit Schedule**
$3.00 Hardcovers with dust jacket
$2.00 Paperbacks in great condition
$1.00 Hardcovers without jackets or paperbacks in fair condition
** Subject to change.